The history of the OBA, like the history of Rome, has been an ever-growing tree. It had its roots in the Banyan groves of Mutwal, and later began to flourish spontaneously in the unfamiliar environment of Mt. Lavinia where now the Thomian impress has been fixed upon one and all.
The Old Boys’ Association was started in 1886. The fons et origo was Warden Miller who, on the 19th day of April 1886, address a letter to A. d’ A. Seneviratne, a distinguished Old Boy, who became an Advocate and lived right opposite of S. Thomas’ College at Mutwal for many years.
Warden Miller’s letter, which has been lost & found, and which is in the possession of Seneviratne’s son, Proctor A. C. d’ A. Seneviratne, is as follows, and speaks for itself.